WJPR Citation New

  All Since 2011
 Citation  2903  2393
 h-index  27  24
 i10-index  68  60

Login

Best Paper Awards

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR) will give best paper award in every issue in the form of money along with certificate to promote research activity of scholar.
            Best Paper Award :
Dr. Muhammad Baqir MR Fakhrildin
Download Article: Click Here

Search

Track Your Article

Abstract

ANALYSIS OF VANCOMYCIN RESISTANCE AMONG METHICILLIN RESISTANT STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS IN HIV PATIENTS SUFFERING FROM RESPIRATORY ILLNESS

Ravish Katiyar, Sandeep Chowdhry, Shilpa Kaistha, T.N. Dhole*

ABSTRACT

Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is responsible for a wide number of life threatening infections globally. The association of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus in respiratory illness is considered as a serious threat for HIV patients. The vancomycin is widely used drug for the treatment of MRSA. The increased risk of vancomycin resistance among MRSA is a global challenge. In this study the level of vancomycin resistance with minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) was observed among MRSA strains, isolated from HIV patients suffering from respiratory illness. Total 62 throat swab samples were collected and cultured on mannitol salt agar plates, 54 samples (87%) were cultured successfully. Among them, 43 samples (79.60%) were characterized as Staphylococcus aureus by biochemical tests. 5 samples (11.60%) were considered as MRSA showing MIC > 6mcg for cefoxitin antibiotic. MecA gene was detected in all MRSA positive strains by PCR. The MIC values of vancomycin and cefoxitin for MRSA strains were analyzed by E test (Epsilometer test) using Vancomycin-Cefoxitin E-test strips (Ezy MIC strips, Himedia). The MIC values for vancomycin were found between 0.75 to 3.0 mcg/ml, while cefoxitin MICs were observed between 8.0 to 24.0 mcg/ml for MRSA isolates. Only 1 MRSA sample (20%) was found vancomycin Intermediate while remaining 4 samples (80%) were found sensitive to vancomycin.

Keywords: Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Minimum inhibitory concentration, Respiratory illness, Mortality.


[Full Text Article]

Call for Paper

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR)
Read More

Email & SMS Alert

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR)
Read More

Article Statistics

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR)
Read More

Online Submission

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR)
Read More